The board-certified neurosurgeons at Bayou Region Surgery Center specialize in diagnosing and treating problems and disorders of the nervous system which affect the back, neck, and spine.
Neurosurgery/Spine Surgery at Bayou Region Surgery Center
Because neurosurgeons have the most extensive amount of spinal surgery training of all medical specialties, they are highly qualified to treat the complex causes of neck and back pain. The neurosurgeons at BRSC utilize the most advanced, minimally invasive surgical technologies available to enable our patients to recover as quickly as possible in the comfort of their own homes.
Common conditions treated by neurosurgeons include:
- Herniated, bulging, or ruptured spinal disc
- Compressed, pinched, or damaged nerves
- Cervical or lumbar kyphosis
- Cervical or spinal stenosis
- Degenerative disc or spine disease
- Fractured vertebra
- Spinal deformities
- Spinal infections
- Spinal injury or trauma
- Tumors/cysts of the spine
Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery Procedures
Minimally invasive procedures, which are utilized whenever possible at BRSC, offer benefits including:
- Smaller incisions/smaller scars
- Less cutting of soft tissue and muscles
- Faster recovery time and return to normal activities
- Reduced risk of infection
- Minimal discomfort/less required pain medication
Cervical spine surgeries include:
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF): To relieve pressure on the spinal cord and/or nerve roots from bone spurs or herniated disc
- Cervical foraminotomy: Enlarges the foramen (space between vertebrae) to relieve pinching or pressure on nerve root
- Cervical laminectomy: Removal of the lamina to relieve pressure on the cervical nerves, often from spinal stenosis
Back/lumbar surgeries include:
- Kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty: Specialized bone cement is injected into the vertebral body to treat fractures, often due to osteoporosis
- Lumbar decompression: Portion of the lamina is removed to alleviate neural impingement (pinched nerve)
- Lumbar discectomy: Removal of the portion of a disc impinging on the the spinal nerves or cord
- Synovial cyst removal: Removal of a fluid-filled sac along the spine which can cause pain in the back, legs, neck and/or sciatica
Bayou Region Surgery Center is a state-of-the-art ambulatory surgery center offering advanced, innovative, and compassionate outpatient care. Our surgical neurology staff has extensive training, experience, and skill in diagnosing and treating all manners of neurological surgical procedures involving the back, spinal cord, and neck.
Disclaimer: These pages are not intended to provide medical or surgical advice or physician instruction on medical care or treatment. If you are a patient, consult with your doctor about treatment options that may be appropriate for your medical condition.